How does hygiene affect pest control?
- Cleanliness is of utmost importance
- Practice holistic hygienic pest control methods at home
Hygiene is a word that is usually attributed to the self. A person with good hygiene is often one who is consistently clean and well-groomed. However, what many people fail to realize is that hygiene can also affect pest control, especially at home. If you want to know more about the relationship between hygiene and pests, then continue reading because you might learn something that can help you deal with those pesky insects and critters you might be seeing in your home.
Cleanliness is of utmost importance
When you think of the word hygiene, cleanliness should be the first word that you associate with it. Having good hygiene means being clean, and for that to translate into effective pest control, cleanliness must be observed not only on a personal level but also in the environment in which you are in. Your home is the place where you don’t want any pests at all.
If you want to prevent any sort of infestation from happening at home, then you would do well to keep it clean. That being said, one thing you have to pay attention to is food. It is already well-known that pests wander into people’s houses to search for food and a safe location for breeding, but many people don’t understand how even the smallest of concessions in home cleanliness can lead to sudden appearances of flies, rodents, and cockroaches.
Here’s a short checklist of some hygienic pest control methods you can follow:
- Clean all surfaces, especially after eating. Make sure to get and dispose of all the crumbs, peels, and other food scraps that may be left lying around. Don’t forget to include hard-to-reach areas, such as surfaces behind or under large kitchen appliances.
- Wash all the dishes, utensils, glasses, pots, and pans after you’re done cooking and eating.
- Store your food in containers with an air-tight seal and be mindful of any food item that is left out in the open.
- Take out the garbage every single day. If you are using plastic for your garbage bins, replace them daily or as frequently as possible.
- Use the necessary cleaning agents at home such as surface cleaners, disinfecting air sprays, and soap. This helps in ridding areas and surfaces in your home of unwanted bacteria, smells, and physical residue.
Aside from following a cleaning routine, sticking to it consistently is also important because pest control is never a one-time thing. Pests are opportunistic and they will take advantage of those times where you forget to clean up the dining area or take out the trash.
Practice holistic hygienic pest control methods at home
Since food is mostly involved in the dining area and kitchen of your home, it can be tempting to forego intensively cleaning other rooms like the bath and bedrooms. However, pests do not necessarily choose which part of a house they will infest and breed in. They simply go where their needs will be met e.g. where there is food and a safe space to breed.
This means that every room and area in your house is vulnerable to pest activity. This makes a holistic approach to hygienic pest control important. Make sure that every room in your home is as clean as possible. Home maintenance should also be a part of your pest control methods if you want it to be effective.
Installing fly screens on windows, sealing cracks in the internal and external walls, and patching up holes in the roof and ceiling are also important because they prevent pests from getting inside your home in the first place. By doing these things, on top of cleaning your house properly, the chances of finding pests in your home are lower. Prevention is always going to be better than cure when it comes to many things and pest control is no different.
The idea behind how hygiene and pests affect each other is quite simple. If you and your surroundings stay clean and free from dirt, grime, and food waste like crumbs and scraps, then pests have no suitable environment to live in. On top of that, if the physical condition of your house is also well-maintained, then pests would have a hard time entering your home.